Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Logan Mankins Traded to Tampa Bay

(Quick Note: Yeah its been awhile. This blog is not dead.  A lot more free time on my hands for the foreseeable future so hopefully I post more.)

FOX Sports-FOX Sports has learned that the two teams have agreed to the terms of a trade that would send Patriots captain and six-time pro bowler Logan Mankins to the Bucs in exchange for a player and an undisclosed pick. A Patriots source said the deal is agreed upon, but they are still waiting to finalize the deal. Mankins, entering his 10th season in the league, was a first-round pick by the Patriots in 2005 out of Fresno State. He made $5.7 million last season. 


Color me SHOCKED. I really could not believe this when I saw it originally. Offensive line is one of the glaring holes in this otherwise amazing team, and the Patriots trade a Pro Bowler/captain/one of the best linemen year in and year out for an undrafted rookie tight end and a draft pick. And I get that this helps the Patriots with the cap and will allow them to explore different extension options with Darrelle Revis, which is all well and good, but if you want to capitalize on Brady's last few years, I'm not sure trading the teams best lineman is the correct route to traverse. They've done it with Richard Seymour and  Randy Moss so this isn't totally out of left field I guess. I still remember the exact moment Moss was traded. I was in my freshman year of high school in history class and our teacher literally stopped class to watch the press conference announcing the trade. We never really got much done in that class. Hopefully the coaching staff can figure this all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment