Saturday, May 5, 2018

The Lee Nguyen Saga Is Over


Back when the rumors started to swirl, I didn't really believe them, but I understood them. Lee Nguyen wanted what he deserved. He wanted what he was worth. I hoped the change in manager would help to smooth things over, but it didn't. I only officially became worried when he started his holdout and did not attend the majority of training camp in the winter. I figured he'd come back eventually, and he did. But he then got left off the rosters week after week with Brad Friedel saying he has to fight for his spot. Was he trying to tell us that Lee Nguyen wasn't beating out guys bench players? Because thats a load of crap. If he was good to go you put him in the roster and worry about on-the-field before at-the-negotiating-table. 

The entire time, while worried for certain, I was almost in disbelief that it could happen and so I talked myself into the reality that he would play for this team for years to come.

That reality came crashing down when the Revolution traded Lee Nguyen to Los Angeles Football Club last week.


First off, he looks marvelous in the gold and black. 

If you had to give a Revolution counterpart to each of Boston's major sports teams, I think a lot of people would say Taylor Twellman. But with the smallest history in terms of years and winning, I think Twellman belongs with the Bird, Orr, Rice and Grogan group of athletes. He might still be our biggest star in history, and he eclipses those who had come before him. For the current generation of guys, Lee Nguyen is the Rev's answer to Pierce, Ortiz and Bergeron (I have intentionally left Tom Brady out because I am NOT stupid). He was this era's biggest star. So before we look at the return, the aftermath and the goodbye, we're gonna look at some of his best moments.

His best goals with the Revs


That AMAZING chip against Montreal (if you say it was deflected I will cut you)


His stats over the years have been at least average after his first season with the Revs


That 18 goal, 5 assist season in 2014 that earned him runner-up in MVP voting while also carrying the team to the MLS Cup Finals, where I think a win would have given Nguyen the MVP. I am still reeling from that game. 

Outdoing his near-MVP 2014 with the 11 G, 15 A performance a season ago. It shows just how good he still was and what he's truly capable of. 


Getting called up to the USMNT after a 7 year gap and then actually playing

THAT tifo
Still gets me going in the loins all these years later.

His story

The return for Lee Nguyen is $950k in allocation money, meaning we will probably not see much of that. Given the fact Mike Burns didn't want to deal him within the Eastern Conference and the amount of time that passed since the initial rumors of Lee wanting out and the fact he publicly asked to leave meant you weren't going to get the best offer or what the offer should be. 

I hoped Lee Nguyen would finish his playing days in New England. Instead, we have to settle on him combing back and playing in the Fortress if the schedule allows so. The teams are set to play in the middle of September this season, so we'll see him again then. 

I've seen far too many fans saying this saga has tarnished his career, while other are just generally disrespectful of all Lee has done for the team the past 6 years. All I have to say to these people is that you are absolutely moronic and don't deserve anything other than this. 

On a personal level, Lee Nguyen meant a whole lot to me and fans with Asian heritage across the US Soccer spectrum. For the first time since Tedy Bruschi roamed that same turf, one of my teams had an Asian American not only in the squad but also as one of the featured members of the team. It was absolutely fucking awesome to watch someone I can better relate to do the things he did and accomplish what he did. Watching him represent the United States and wear the crest meant a lot to the Asian community who, like myself and like Lee, call themselves Americans. And so I am sad that his chapter with my team is over, but I'll always be a Lee Nguyen fan. That much is certain. 

So thank you Lee Nguyen. Thank you for your performance on the field. Thank you for your personality off the field. Thank you for being a leader. Thank you for repping the culture. 

Thank you Lee. 

#MVLEE Forever.












No comments:

Post a Comment