Tuesday, March 1, 2016

PFT Commenter Joins Barstool


Source-Before anyone ever cared where I blogged, I was just a kid from the ProFootballTalk comment secton. Its where I learned how to give barrel fire sports takes, where i learned about the loose change video, and where I honed my abilty to make broad sweeping generalizations without reading the actual artcle about what Anotonio Cromartes latest child means in regards to how much I would pay in taxes if I made more money. Its where I found my voice & my passion...


But I knew that as my contract with SB Nation expired, my unique perpsective as one of the worlds only straight, white, male sports bloggers was more necessary then ever in the corners of the internet where that type of voice had become marginalized the most- places like Barstool Sports.
Before we start, read that whole letter in the source link. Outstanding work from PFT.

What an alliance. What a signing by Portnoy (read: Peter Chernin). Biggest free transfer since a small boy from Argentina named Lionel Messi agreed to join FC Barcelona'syouth academy at La Masia. This is NWO announcing Shawn Michaels as its newest member.


PFT Commenter is one of the best personalities on the Internet. Great Twitter account, great work for SB Nation and various other outlets. Great hire. I'm very excited for this unholy matrimony to wreak havoc on the Internet. His podcast debuting on Friday with Big Cat is going to be amazing. 

And obviously the Internet fake outrage machine went in on this. People telling PFT they will no longer be viewing his work simply because the URL where it will appear is different and they don't agree with it. I don't want to find and post the reactions I'm talking about because I'll just get irrationally angry, but go to his Twitter where he announced the move and look for yourself. 

So because he's writing for Barstool now you won't support his work you've been reading for a long time? He's somehow lowered himself to the dredges of the Internet? That because he's at Barstool he now reflects all views of the writers (which are blown out of proportion and largely untrue) and the readers (same thing goes for the majority of readers)? Yeah, I guess so. SB Nation was one of the last bastions of good, wholesome journalism... 
So then by their logic, shouldn't they have stopped reading PFT after that since his views have to reflect those of his employers? Oh, right, it's not Barstool so it's fine. 

And then there are people saying he sold out to join the devil's website. Those same people also want online writers to get paid, but I guess just not by certain companies. In reality what those people are saying is, "I should be getting paid." They say Internet writers just so they can play on the moral aspect and say they root for all the good people out there, but they really just want a pay day for themselves. It kills them someone (who's put in a lot of hard work creating a brand, image, persona and carrying it as far as he did) else got the payout.

I'm willing to bet most of the people that bash Barstool join the hate train without ever being to their site, but were pretty much told by people on Twitter to hate them, and they blindly follow. Those people were pissed off or "offended" by something, probably stupid, and now look to rally the Internet mob.

They can't get a job and don't understand how Barstool is popular and worth millions now. As much as he plays it up, it's because Portnoy and his crew broke their backs to get to the point they're at now. They don't just rely on a few random freelance pieces and their college work and expect jobs at the Washington Post to fall out of the goddamn sky right into their laps. 

But really, I'm just so thankful for all the bloggers on Twitter to tell me what's right and what's wrong. Without them and their morals and high horsed rhetoric I would be but a lost fawn in the evil woods of the Interwebs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment